24 March 2010

Lent

When we hear the word Lent, it usually reminds us of a few things: Ashes; Giving something up; Scrutinies: Examining our lives; Penance; Prayer; fasting; Stations of the Cross; and Blessed palms but Lent actually denotes to the forty days' fast preceding Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. It is also a season of soul-searching and repentance... of course lent is not the only time when we can repent but it is in most Catholics' beliefs that these things are widely practiced during Lent. I did not actually give up anything but in so many ways, as was taught to me as a Catholic, I try to keep up with the traditions brought about by this season.


I want to share a story that I have finished reading for the 2nd time. The Shack written by William P. Young. It's a like a prayer book, lessons from the Bible, daily bread, and fiction rolled into one great story that in one way or another will open the readers' minds and hearts. It will give you the reasons for one's lack of faith.



The story is about a father who lost his youngest daughter to a tragedy that made him question the capacity of God to actually save the one's who truly does not deserve bad things. It is not a story that is unusual but what's different about this is how the main character found his faith again. He met God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit who showed and reminded him of how painful, but also amazing life can be. These to me are the best parts of the book:

"Evil is a word we use to describe the absence of Good, just as we use the word darkness to describe the absence of Light or death to describe the absence of Life. Both evil and darkness can only be understood in relation to Light and Good; they do not have any actual existence. I am Light and I am Good. I am Love and there is no darkness in me. Light and Good actually exist. So, removing yourself from me will plunge you into darkness. Declaring independence will result in evil because apart from me, you can only draw upon yourself. That is death because you have separated yourself from me: Life."

"The person who lives by his fears will not find freedom in my [God's] love. I am not talking about rational fears regarding legitimate dangers, but imagined fears, and especially the projection of those into the future. To the degree that those fears have a place in your life, you neither believe that I [God] am good nor know deep in your heart that I love you. You sing about it, you talk about it, but you don't know it."

"Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation.........Forgiveness does not excuse anything.........You may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely. And then one day you will pray for his wholeness......"

"Each relationship between two persons is absolutely unique. That is why you cannot love two people the same. It simply is not possible. You love each person differently because of who they are and the uniqueness that they draw out of you. "


"Have you noticed that even though you call me Lord and King, I have never really acted in that capacity with you? I've never taken control of your choices or forced you to do anything, even when what you were about to do was destructive or hurtful to yourself and others."

No comments:

Post a Comment